Black Bean Soup
Black Bean Soup
Black Bean soup is one of my favorites dishes on a cold day. Besides being yummy, black beans are an amazing food that are filled with cancer-fighting anti-oxidants and fiber. However, beyond that, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine, they are a fantastic source of energy that strengthens the Kidneys and nourishes blood. That means they are a great addition to other therapies when suffering from back and knee pain, infertility and poor circulation. Even better when combined with the spicy and sour flavors in this recipe you could help fight off a cold and aid digestion.
My version of black bean soup is inspired by one of our favorite little places on our favorite little island, Aqua Bistro in St. John, USVI. After a long day at the beach, their black bean soup brought me back to life and I couldn't get enough. This recipe is jam packed with flavor and it's light and filling all at the same time. The best part is it's easy to make. If you are in a super time crunch, just replace the dried black beans with 4 cans of black beans and a 4 cups of water. Enjoy this tasty soup all on its own or paired with your favorite salad.
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp adobo seasoning
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp cumin
- Juice of one lime
- 1, 16-ounce jar of medium salsa
- 1, 16-ounce bag of dried black beans, soaked and cooked with their liquid.
- 1 cup of roughly chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large pot, heat 2 Tbsp of coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots and saute until they start to become softened about 5-7 minutes.
- Add spices onion mixture and continue to saute until well mixed and fragrant, or another 2 minutes.
- Once well combined deglaze the pot with the juice of one lime. Then add the salsa and mix well.
- Finally, add the beans with their cooking liquid and mix well until combined with all of the ingredients.
- Continue cooking soup on low for another 10 minutes, or heated through.
- Serve hot and top each bowl with fresh cilantro and pumpkin seeds.